The Hispanic Canadian Heritage Council, in partnership with Action Développement du Canada and the 10 Most Influential Hispanic Canadians Program, Presents:
HCHC School4Civic Program 2022
For the Hispanic Community
The School4Civic Program is an 8-week program designed for interested persons of the Hispanic / Latin American community who wish to learn more and connect with fellow politicians and civic and political actors. This program will provide an opportunity to learn from the real-life experiences of other professionals.
The School4Civic program aims to increase the visibility of Hispanic Latin American presence within all levels of government. The HCHC is committed to providing a program with the ultimate objective of giving all its participants a strong sense of how they can successfully secure themselves a meaningful political and civic role of their interest.
The School4Civic Program is an 8-week program beginning on April 14th, 2022 and running until Jun 2nd, 2022. The program will meet once a week on the Thursday of each week, from 6:00 to 8:00 pm, via Zoom.
Each weekly event will be mostly divided into two parts. The first will be led by a university professor who will explain the topic of the week. The second part will be led by a politician, or a professional speaker, invited to discuss their unique experiences in politics and provide advice to Hispanics / Latin Americans who wish to pursue a similar path. Each week will end with practical material that interested persons may take home.
The material provided will be practical information relevant to the weekly topic. This will include government website links, and quick articles that provide tips on how to directly get involved within politics, campaigns, organizations, etc. Other resources may include recommended websites that provide tools for campaign development, etc. Moreover, information on Canadian Political parties’ constitutions and commissions that may better prepare interested members to select a party of interest.
In addition to this, it is also expected that some invited speakers will bring their own resources to distribute which pertain to their discussion.
The course will be dictated in English.
PROGRAM APPLICATION AND FEE
To be enrolled in this program, participants must apply (fill the application bellow) and pay $50.00 CAN to the HCHC before the first meeting date of the course. Please made the payment at: https://s4cprogram2022.eventbrite.ca.
- Special Presentation: The civic and political engagement of the Latin American communities in Canada.
- Class objective: A frank conversation about the role played by the Hispanic Latin American communities in the civic and political practices in Canada
- Speaker: MP Pablo Rodriguez, Minister of Canadian Heritage.
- The Canadian Government Structure and Getting involved in Federal Politics
- Class objective: An opportunity to learn about the structure and function of the Federal government, and to listen the experience of one MP in effectively getting involved in government and politics.
- The Ontario Government Structure and getting involved in provincial politics
- Class Objective: familiarize oneself with the province of Ontario, and connect with MPPs and other employers
- Municipal Government: Overview of Municipal Politics in Canada
- Class Objective: Familiarize oneself with the Municipal Governments, and connect with councillors and other municipal workers.
- The Role of Boards
- Class objective: Gain a better understanding on Boards and their decision-making process.
- Canadian Political Parties (Part I)
- Class objective: Learn about the three main Canadian political parties and how one may obtain a leadership position in a political party. Liberal Party of Canada.
- Canadian Political Parties (Part II)
- Class objective: Learn about the three main Canadian political parties and how one may obtain a leadership position in a political party. New Democratic Party of Canada.
- Canadian Political Parties (Part III)
- Class objective: Learn about the three main Canadian political parties and how one may obtain a leadership position in a political party. Conservative Party of Canada
Closing ceremony and program wrap-up
Reception at Parliament Hill, Ottawa (if pandemic rules permit).
To participate in this program, please download the application form, fill it up and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.